Monday, February 21, 2011

The journey continues

Sunday Feb 13, we had a Valentine's Brunch with many lovely friends; a sort of send off and celebration of love. Feb 14 Monday, Volvo loaded we set out for the great wide west.


Today is day six of our travels across the USA. It has been so long since I have seen this country. For many years (I hate to admit how many perhaps 20?), my travels have been uniquely in Europe so that I am often surprised to hear English spoken on this trip!

At one rest stop we discovered as passenger as a little gecko crawled out of my bag. Carefully releasing her I hope she finds a new home.

So far we have traveled through seven states. The long drive out of Florida through the panhandle onto Hwy 10 took us across Alabama, Louisiana, into Texas, another long vast stretch of endless land and big skies. The weather stayed clear with cold mornings cool even warm afternoons! Physically I am doing ok thanks to Amy's care (She carries the luggage which includes a small kitchen)and all your prayers and financial help. We rise early and drive through the morning and afternoon, then stop to rest at an all American motel.
We cut up to Hwy 40 into Oklahoma and yes, again Texas to New Mexico where we encountered the most beautiful land which seemed to stretch into infinity. Sunrise was aa brilliant show of color and light, flames rising over the roadside truck stop.
(Photos are by Amy)

As the color faded in the east, a big full moon dripped out of the western clouds. What an amazing morning. (Amy has a full file of photos as the colors faded into day! Check out her blog, A Yoga Year, www.yogaasyouare.wordpress.com)
Add caption
                                                           

full moon morning

New Mexico hosts the Petrified  Forest National Park in Holbrook. We took a 28 mile detour through the park to admire the painted desert. My first reaction was absolute awe at nature's fine art. Vast "Badlands" of forms, shapes, changing colors and patterns as the weather varied. Photos and descriptions cannot possibly do it justice and I am thankful for the opportunity to have seen and experienced them.
                                                                   

Badlands
 
     Painted Desert 

We heard that there would be 16 inches of snow in Flagstaff, AZ which is at a high elevation. We sensibly planned to be past it before the storm hit. Whoops! The snow came fast and furious and my Florida car was not happy. Luckily we were close to an exit, and thanks to Amy's heroic driving in zero visability and slick unplowed roads, we made it to a motel. Overshooting the parking lot by a few feet, the father of a cheerful family building snowmen oblivious to my terror(!) pushed us the last few feet into a parking space and here we decided to stay until the storm passes. By tomorrow, Monday we should be back on the road with the ultimate idea of heading up the California coast and avoiding any more snowy clashes with mother nature.


Snow in Arizona

I hope you enjoyed the update. Love and light as we all travel our individual journeys and paths.
Tanza

2 comments:

Linda said...

Im surprised!! I thought you were leaving the 1st of March!!! Im glad the scenery is beautiful for you and enjoy every moment of it! Not often can someone drive across the states (I would LOVE too!) Cant wait to see you and Amy and Ill check in on the pics I love You and Amy, I love you too and thanks for bringing her all this way!!! I am SO excited to see you two!!!! Keep me posted!!!!!! Linda

silver fortress said...

Tanza, The photos are lovely! The are a wonderful reminder of the variety and great beauty of the US (I will admit... sometimes I forget :) ).
Our thoughts are with you on your journey.
with love,
Michelle